Jann's Pages

9/8/12

Sadie has retired.

Sadie has officially retired from desktop duty and will only be traveling with me.  I've been using Sadie, my Silhouette SD electronic die cutting machine, for over a year now.  She's been faithful and ever so hard working.  

Well, I decided it was time to upgrade.  I was really tired of either having to adjust the designs to fit a smaller cutting mat (the mat can only handle a width of 8.5")...when just about all the designs lately in the Silhouette online store are drawn for a 12x12 inch cutting mat.  

So either I would have to cut the paper to the proper width, or reconfigure the design to fit the smaller mat.  I was fed up with having to do either.  So I decided to order the Silhouette Cameo.  A day before I ordered it, I found a $50 gift card to amazon.com.  So I checked the price and decided to go for the Starter kit bundle. It includes 2 mats, 2 blades, the machine, the software, the USB cord and the power cord.  I received it a couple weeks ago and set it up.  


I ♥ this machine.  It cuts very nicely.  So does Sadie, don't get me wrong.  But I don't have to trim down a scrapbook sheet of paper to fit on the mat anymore.  LOVE that!!  



I was trying to come up with a name for the new machine.  Sadie was named for the machine being called an SD.  I wanted to keep with the same type of name, so I thought...and thought...and I almost felt like Winnie the Pooh thinking in "The Honey Tree" episode! Had I exclaimed, "Oh Fluff and Stuff" you'd understand from where THAT saying came! 


Okay, so my Silhouette Cameo's name is...Essie!  SC...get it?  Short for, Silhouette Cameo.  Okay, probably not the COOLEST name, but it fits.  

So now that I have Essie, I have to do a little rearranging to have her fit better in my crafting space.  Hubby and I took a trip to Ikea last Monday after dropping our daughter off at the airport to catch the shuttle bus down to Tucson so she could head back to school.  Ikea was offering a food deal in their restaurant.  So we got into the store, and I found the pieces I wanted to buy.  I think it took longer to wait for a flat cart than it did to select the items I wanted from the showroom floor.  

I ended up buying 2 of the Expedit 2x4 cube shelves, in white.  I was wanting to get 3, but I think 2 will do for now.  I also bought another drawer unit, called the Vika Alex.  I plan on putting it on the left side of my craft desk to match the one on the right.  It's quite handy for storing my crafting tools right beside me.  

So there will be some pieces of 'furniture' that will be leaving my craft room...such as the plastic shelf.  It's too large for the space where it stands.  It will probably go back into the garage.  The 3 shelf bookshelf.  It's falling apart and it's time to just let it go to Particle Board Heaven.  The 3rd piece is going to be the Malm 6 drawer Chest.  This is actually an AWESOME piece of Ikea furniture to have because 12x12 inch scrapbook paper fits perfectly in the drawers!!  My mom let me borrow it, but she's going to put it back either in her closet or in the office.  I like this piece quite a bit--in fact, I have one of these in my bedroom.  

The 4th piece of furniture I will most likely give up will be my printer stand.  Now I really like this printer stand.  My Essie is currently residing on it, along with the 8.5 x 11" paper I used for Sadie that is hanging in the file drawer. Perfect fit, but I need to rid myself of the multiple pieces of furniture that's in this small space.  

This weekend I want to work on assembling the 6 drawer unit.  I know I will need assistance assembling the Expedit 2x4 shelves, so I will ask hubby for help.  I'd LOVE to get it all finished by Wednesday.  I doubt that will happen, but I'd like to aim for that day.  If it's NOT done, it'll just have to wait for a couple weeks.  I will be indisposed.

Thursday the 13th I am scheduled for surgery to correct trigger finger on my left hand.  I had the middle finger on both hands operated on (at the same time--and NEVER again with THAT idea unless it's a medical emergency!) but now the index fingers on both hands have trigger finger, PLUS the left thumb is starting to click...which means, it's developing it. 

Since I use my hands quite a bit--typing, crafting, working around the house, I NEED them to be in tip-top shape.  So that's why the surgery is taking place sooner than later.  It's difficult to grip things to pick them up when the finger can't clasp around the object correctly. The surgery is quick and I should be fine. The sooner I get it done, the sooner I can get back to crafting!!  

Until next time.....




1 comment:

  1. So Glad you have Essie! I love my Cameo! =) The best to Sadie! She will love to travel onto far away places on your crafting adventures!

    Soooo, Let's see that craft room! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.