Jann's Pages

2/12/12

"You light up my life.
You give me hope
To carry on.
You light up my days
and fill my nights, with song."

Jearise from Lorby's World is our hostess for today's hop which takes a look at all those things that light up our lives:  a significant other, children, place or pets. Enjoy what they have come up with as you hop along and please leave a comment on each blog to light up their life today. Some may be giving blog candy away so keep an eye open to see and you never know...You're life may be lit up.


BLOG CANDY

Leave a comment at Lorby's World and become a follower (or let her know if you already are one of her followers) to be eligible to win a $10.00 gift card to Joann's Crafts and Fabric.

SPONSOR

SVG ATTIC is sponsoring this hop by giving away a $20.00 gift certificate to her store. SVG Attic is the last stop on our hop and to qualify for the gift certificate you must do two things.


1. Visit the SVG Attic Store 
(http://svgattic.blogspot.com/p/store_19.html
*AND*
2. Become a follower of SVG Attic's blog (http://svgattic.blogspot.com/) and leave a comment telling which svg file from the store you like best.

Now, if someone turned off the lights and you ended up here by accident, please follow the lighted path as you begin your hop at Lorby's World. If your hop stayed lit, you should have ventured over from Doris' Blog and will continue on to Janet's Blog.

Lights on.... 

Erik at Sabino Canyon
early summer, 2007
I chose to create luminaries for the one who lights up MY life.  It is my sweet husband, Erik.   We've known each other since April 13, 2003 when we met at a call center where we both used to work.  It was Erik's first day working there, and I introduced myself by asking if he wanted to read about my father.  

Erik said sure, and I handed him my daddy's obituary that was printed from the local paper. The look on Erik's face when he realized what he was reading was...priceless!  YES, it's a strange way to meet, but it happened.  

Fast forward to 4 years later, we were still friends, albeit via phone calls or emails, our marriages were ending by our respective spouses. We got together during the summer, and stayed together.  SO many of our former coworkers mentioned to us, "What took you two so long to hook up?"  Say what?  Neither one of us saw anything ever happening between us...we were just awesome friends!

We married in a local courthouse the end of December, 2007, and then had a chapel wedding in June, 2008.  His sense of humor, his easy going nature, and his belief systems are what I admire about Erik.  He's also a gentleman, and it's the little things he does that keeps a silly grin on my face all the time! I would marry Erik every day if I could.  He is certainly a keeper and he is my Life, my Love, and my World!  THIS is why he lights up my life!


Erik lights up my life just like these luminaries light up our evenings, walking down the path of love!
All of these luminaries were cut with my Silhouette SD machine. Various patterns were downloaded from the Silhouette Online Store.  The first is one I altered using the 3D Heart Bag, which was included in the 51 original shapes Silhouette offered with the Studio software. 

The Life, Love, World Luminary
  
This first luminary was altered. It originally started out with the heart handles and the cut out heart on the bottom right side of the bag.  I added the phrase to be cut out and then attached some hearts and a "Beautiful Heart Flourish" design, (lower left) which I decorated with a Sakura White Gel pen. 


The other side of this bag                                                was decorated with 
Chomas Creations's Green Glitter 
gel pen and her 
adjustable pen holder.  This pen holder is a-maze-ing!  It has a screw pin on the side to add any type of pen to it to draw out any 
shape or phrase you want!  
I ♥LOVE♥ it!!! 



With my Silhouette SD electronic die cutting machine, Sadie,  I can make "Print And Cut" {aka PnC} designs.  With the PnC designs, I can design the item on the Silhouette Studio software, add colors, patterns and adjust according to how I want it to look. Run the paper through my printer, which adds registration marks to the design, then run that same paper through the Silhouette SD Machine, to create any item *I* want decorated MY way!

Here are two luminaries that I created using the PnC feature:

The Fleur-de-Lis PnC Luminary
The Argyle  PnC Luminary





















The first PnC luminary pattern is from Lettering Delight's paper Pack "Scrumptious" and it's called the HEARTS pattern.  I used the 3D Heart edge open top box pattern created by Lori Whitlock.  I removed the heart shape and resized the fleur-de-lis to be smaller.  The box was stretched vertically as well.  




The other PnC was cut from the same box pattern, except I omitted the heart and fleur-de-lis and added a couple small hearts to be cut out.  The paper pattern, "Gray-Pink Argyle," is from the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition.  I adjusted the pattern to line up with the scalloped 'valley' part.  

Still another feature of the Designer Edition of Silhouette Studio software is the ability to create various types of lines.  Not just straight lines anymore, but lines that have edges in different shapes.  You can see a sample of what I mean HERE.    This next luminary features one of the knife tools.  

The Inverted Scallops Luminary

The top was cut using the Serrated 1 blade.  It's the "Inverted Scallops" Luminary because of the pattern all the way around the top edge.  The box is called the 3D Heart Handled Box (C01720-17986) by SnapDragon Snippets.  This box was completely altered by removing the lid to it, and then adding the serrated 1 knife blade across the top of it.  Then I added some cut out hearts, backed those with heart shaped vellum paper, and added some extra cardstock hearts I had from other projects.  I outlined the vellum backed hearts with a purple Sakura Glaze Pen.  I ♥ these Glaze pens...it's almost like a shiny embossed look without breaking out the heat tool and embossing powder.  

Here's another luminary ("Spotted Hearts") that was created from the aforementioned box pattern, but no fancy edge to it.  I did stretch the sides to about 3 1/2 inches tall.  

The Spotted Hearts Luminary

I cut out scalloped hearts for the larger size, and plain edged hearts for the smaller size.  Oh, ALL the heart cut-outs in each of the designs are from Lori Whitlock's 11 Hearts file at the Silhouette online store.  They have a scalloped edge, and a plain smaller heart that fits inside.  The smaller heart can be removed to JUST feature a scalloped edge heart.   

On this box, I used red cardstock, the heart cut-outs, angling them on all 4 sides, and lined the inside with white spiral vellum paper from Hobby Lobby.  Then I added Stickles (colors:  Purple, and Stardust) by dotting the tip rapidly along each side.  I just started with one side, then after that dried, I finished the other 3 sides and clipped up the dry side outside on our clothesline!  Stickles dry VERY quickly when it's about 80 degrees!

"Spots & Swirls" Luminary is the last style I created, using SnapDragon Snippet's file, "3D Heart Handled Box."  

The Spots & Swirls Luminary

Again, I removed the top of the box that would normally fold close over the heart handles. I stretched the sides to 3 inches (normal size is 2 5/8 inches high)  and left the 4 sides uncut.  

Before I assembled the box, I punched a border at the top using EK Success Edger "Flowers & Flourish" punch.   Then I took a 3/4 inch round punch (Fiskars Brand) and punched circles on all 4 sides.  I added silver star patterned vellum paper to each side inside to cover just the circles, then assembled the box. Here's a detail of the border punch on this luminary.



This cardstock is from K&Company.  Unfortunately, I don't have the name of the style anymore, but I can tell you it was purchased from JoAnn's  and it's 12x12 inch double sided patterned cardstock.  

As far  as the flameless tealights, I bought an 8 pack from Joann's.They are button battery powered, last for 1000 hours of battery run time, and have an LED inside.


The "Flame" actually FLICKERS and looks realistic from afar.  There's just a little toggle switch on the bottom to turn it on and off.  I used these same flameless candles in some Halloween boxes, bags and tea light holders that we placed on the window sill.  I accidentally left one lit all night and I the brightness was still as strong as when I turned it on.  http://www.inglowflamelesscandles.com has more info about these little gems or you can check out the candle section at your local Joann's store.  Just make sure to use a Joann's coupon to get a better price!

Thank you for stopping by this portion of LorbyWorld's YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE Blog Hop.  Your next stop will be:


and if you missed any of the previous lights along the way, here is the line-up for you to backtrack:

1. Jearise - http://lorbysworld.blogspot.com
11. Jann - http://snap-schotts.blogspot.com <---HERE!


I do have a Piece of Blog Candy that will go to a randomly selected commenter. In order to qualify, you will need to leave a comment choosing which luminary you liked best. Please ensure either your email address, or blog address is listed, so I can contact you if you should happen to be the winning commenter!

The winner will be chosen after 5pm MST Tuesday February 14, 2012.

The delicious piece of blog candy that the randomly selected winner will receive is a rare stamp set from Close To My Heart. It is the only DOUBLE stamp set CTMH has created & it's called Pair-A-Phrase

Good Luck and thanks for Blog Hopping with us today!





10 comments:

  1. Hi Jann, you would make me choose. I love all your luminaries but I liek the first one the best for it's fancy heart cut outs and I like the paper you used on the last one the best for color and paper design. No matter which ones I say I like best the truth is I like them all. You did good girl. Thanks for being part of my hop. Jearise in Lorby's World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jann these are simply beautiful! I can't wait to try to make these when spring is here and we are enjoying our patio time once again. Favorite? How can you pick just one...they are all so unique. I suppose if I had to choose one I would say the fleur-de-lis pattern. Thanks for sharing your awesome idea! msmith38652@gmail.com
    http://michelescraftroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love all of them but the 1st one with the title of the blog is my fav...you did an outstanding job...thanks for sharing how you did it and I have a cameo with a subscription to the store...so I will go check out the pieces that you used...tfs...KtsAngels.blogspot.com or KtsAngels@cableone.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your luminaries are awesome Great papers and designs . Thanks for sharing your story. Also for the heads up re the tea lights They seem very bright I have some but they barely show even through glass.
    Big Blog Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful luminaries! My fav would have to be the "saying" one with the great heart handles - so pretty! You are so lucky to have found your perfect soul mate and friend :-)
    jejaeb at cfl dot rr dot com
    scrappinana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! These are fantastic! Very creative and crafty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful illumaniers! my fav is the one for Erik. of course :) BUT my other one is inverted scallops - i love the hearts and the colors!! what a beautiful story of you two lovebirds!! parkernana4@aol.com http://mybugandmecreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice!

    Beth Hillier
    Mytimetoplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off you did an awesome job on all the luminaries! but I have to say that the spots and swirls is my most favorite!!!! I enjoyed your story on how you met Erik. TFS!!!

    http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
    ilovetonkinese2 at hotmail dot com
    Rexann♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your luminaries! I'm really going to have to try this sometime. My favorite is the first one (Life, Love, World). AWESOME job! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ~Ashley
    proudusmcwife(at)gmail(dot)com
    http://proudusmcwife415.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete