Jann's Pages

1/2/12

Chicken and Dumplings


CHICKEN and DUMPLINGS
originally from Gayle Shaw,
dumplings modified by Jann Schott

  • 4 boneless, skinless breasts of chicken
  • 2 cans chicken broth
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • water
  • 1/2 cup flour
As for the chicken, since I only use the boneless,skinless breasts of chicken, I will put about 4 large ones in the pot, add 2 cans of the broth, salt/pepper to taste, Old bay seasoning,  garlic powder and about 4 cans of water I then cook the chicken until it's done. (about 30-40 minutes on medium)

I shred the cooked chicken with 2 forks pulling the meat apart, add it back into the soup and then add the dumplings.

Then I thicken the broth with flour. I use 1/2 cup of flour and add 2/3 cups warm chicken broth, stir then add this mixture back into the broth. Stir until well mixed. 





DUMPLING RECIPE

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth   
I mix the first 3 ingredients, then cut the shortening into the flour mixture.  Gradually add chicken broth until it's worked into a soft dough.  Roll out very thin and slice into rectangles and place on boiling broth.
 
Cook for about 10-15 minutes uncovered.

I have a food processor which mixes the dumpling dough a lot faster and better than by hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments.