Jann's Pages

10/1/11

Sketchy Saturday for 10-01-2011

Hello everyone! Can you believe it's October already? This is the last month that I'll be participating in Jill's Sketchy Saturday Challenge as a design team member. The time frame was from the beginning of July to the end of October. I learned quite a bit, perfected techniques and tried to rise to the challenge of following a sketch on a weekly basis.

Originally I was to post my entries every other week. I noticed that there weren't many cards being posted on my 'off weeks' so I asked if I could participate designing those sketches as well as to my assignment. I'm so happy Jill said YES, because it helps discipline me to keep to a schedule.

Oh, so just a reminder, there are FOUR, count em...FOUR (4) more chances (including today's post) to submit an entry into the BLOG CANDY prize contest. "How can I enter this Blog Candy Contest?" you ask?

JUST leave a comment on each and any of the Sketchy Saturday Challenge postings on the SNAP-SCHOTTS blog. (One comment per person per blog, please)You are allowed to go through the list of blogs from each month and leave comments on past posts as well. So the more you post in the way of comments--and I would really like to read constructive comments, if you don't mind--so I can improve my card making skills, please.

EACH individual comment you enter will earn you ONE entry into the contest. You could have ELEVEN chances to win Blog Candy by now. Another entry if you choose to follow this blog. That's a DOZEN entries just like that, badda boom badda bing!


So Johnny, tell them what they can win...

Uh...I have no idea who Johnny is, but here is a post that will make your Dentist Happy if you win THIS candy! It explains some of the prizes that will be awarded. This is just a partial list of prizes available. There will be 3 winners for the Blog Candy Contest. Prizes will be mailed to winners after I receive your mailing address. Don't worry, I don't sell, rent, or share information with others, so be assured your info is safe with me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Okay, now onto this week's sketch by Jill.



10-01-2011 Saturday Sketchy Challenge

I looked at this and said, "Oh, EASY PEASY!" Um...okay, for the most part, it was. The right side where that "ribbon" gets tied was a little perplexing, but I managed to get it figured out. It seems the longer I use Jill's sketches, the quicker it becomes to create. No longer FOUR HOUR marathon card making for me, ladies and gentlemen! Uh...let's just hope I didn't jinx myself.

With my first card, the portrait layout, I already had an idea what I was going to use for the actual card. The scalloped edge towards the top of the card prompted me to use one of my "Matchbook" style prefolded cards I have from DCWV. About a year ago one of the "deal of the day" websites offered a slew of prescored card packs with envelopes at such a discount. Some card packs had the traditional A2 size (5.5" x 4.25"), some were 3 x 3" cards, and some were matchbook style cards. I didn't understand the matchbook concept until my mom explained to me how matchbooks are usually set up. I don't smoke, so I don't deal with matchbooks.

Here is my card:

The cardstock is black with a linen texture, from DCWV. The Damask paper, and stamped images are from Boxer Scrapbook Productions. The Stamps were part of their 2011 CK Convention class, "Whimsy to Elegance." Those stamps were only offered in the class.

The stamp on the white square was stamped with Memento Black ink, and then traced with a Sakura Glaze Pen (black.) The stamp border on the left side used the "Ala Mode" ink from Hampton Art, (White Pigment Ink) I set this ink with my handheld heat gun. This ink is perfect for adding embossing powder or glitter and then heat setting because it takes awhile to dry.

The stitched ribbon came from Hobby Lobby and it's the "Ribbon Boutique" collection. It's sold by the spool and when they have deals with ribbon (buy one get one free, OR 50% off each spool) I like to take advantage of it.

I used an exacto knife to cut a slit in the scalloped folded part of the card. The metal photo corner and metal photo anchor are from Hobby Lobby.

I lined this card's inside with whie cardstock, because not too many people have white ink pens to write. I learned that trick when assisting with an Operation Write Home card making event.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I rotated Jill's sketch counterclockwise by 90° to create my other card for this challenge. Instead of using a matchbook style card, I chose to use different papers side by side, and place them on the front of an A2 card, that opens from the bottom. Yes, I made another Halloween card! I figure it's a way to build up my stash of holiday cards for the end of this month.

The left side of this card started out with a cream color piece of cardstock that has a texture to it, but only on one side. It's from the Joann's "The Paper Studio" line. I sponged "Spiced Marmalade" and "Denim Jeans" Ranger Distress ink on the paper. Before I colored it though, I ran the paper through my Sizzix Big Shot Machine. I used a Tim Holtz (Sizzix) embossing border folder from the "Halloween Background and Border" set.

I "inked" the dry embossed spider with a Versa Marker pen and added Martha Stewart's Copper colored embossing powder which I heated until it melted. The parts that didn't get embossed the first time were redone using the aforementioned method.

If you notice, the border of this piece of cardstock is also embossed the same way. First I used a Martha Stewart border punch. The Versa Marker is nice because it has 2 tips to it--a thin bullet tip and a thick brush like tip for coloring areas quickly.

The two background papers are from Echo Park Papers "Apothecary Emporium" collection. The ribbon, well, I've seen it in various scrapbook stores, but since it's sold by the yard, I never can remember to write down who makes it. I bought it last year at my local store, Crop Girls.

I used an exacto knife to cut a slit into the cardstock, then outlined the slit with a Sakura Glaze pen (black.) The ribbon is attached at the back of the cardstock with regular adhesive tape. The 'tie' part is added after the wrapped ribbon is adhered. It uses less ribbon, opposed to taking one really long piece of ribbon, and another piece to tie together. Notice the "googly eyes?" I really enjoy using googly eyes and Halloween is such a great holiday to take advantage of these cute accents! There are some that have adhesive already applied, just peel off the back liner and apply. I used Micro Glue Dots to apply these 2 eyes. I placed the eye on the glue dot, then picked it up with tweezers and placed the embellishment on the ribbon.

The middle square is white cardstock (again, using Joann's The Paper Studio cardstock) that I edged with the Memento black ink and a bit of the Ranger Distress ink color, Spiced Marmalade. I wrote "EEK!" with the black Sakura Glaze Pen, and after that dried, adhered the square to the card.

The embellishment "holding" the EEK! piece is from "Close to My Heart" and it was shaped like an oval. I trimmed either side of the oval to resemble an arrow.
It was originally the "Buttercream" color, but I was able to darken it by pressing the felt piece with my tweezers on the Ranger Distress Ink pad, "Spiced Marmalade." After it was inked, I pierced the circle then added a black brad to it and applied it to the spider web cardstock.

The last embellishment is a metal leaf brad that I bought off the "Deal of the Day" website,
Kindred Creations. This site has great prices for a variety of scrapping and jewelry making supplies. I believe the leaf is made by Creative Impressions. I colored it with an orange Sakura Glaze pen, then heat embossed the glaze ink to dry it quickly. It bubbled hot quickly and left a neat texture.

After all the pieces were placed onto the cardstock, I took the Spiced Marmalade Ranger Distress Ink on a sponge and edged the white cardstock.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Okay, so now it's YOUR turn to create! Take Jill's card sketch and create your own version of it and then link it to her Blog. She appreciates comments just as much as anyone, so please give her a big thank you for taking the time and effort to do this each and every Saturday!

Enjoy your day and see you next week!



2 comments:

  1. Love the cards, both of them the Halloween card is great, the spider and the ribbon perfect, the Damask and the black and white is awesome. love them both. And will share.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.