Jann's Pages

10/22/11

It's a FOOTBALL sketchy Saturday!

Hello everyone! Happy Saturday to you. Well, guess what?! I KINDA made a liar out of myself with last Saturday's blogpost! Hubby and I did NOT go to the Grand Canyon, which is why you didn't see any pictures posted on my blog this week.

Friday morning hubby came home sick from the flu! Poor guy, he felt SO badly! I called the hotel where we had reservations and explained the situation...he even had to cancel a job interview for later on that day and I explained that to them as well. So the hotel, The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel graciously worked with us and moved our reservations to the 28th-30th of October. I'm very happy they were able to accomodate us at such a late time. They didn't HAVE to do it because their policy is to not accept cancellations 24 hours before the trip. This was about 6 hours before our check-in time, so YES, they were gracious!

So no pictures from our trip until sometime in November. However, we will be going to see a professional football game on Sunday, the 23rd! I do plan on taking my Panasonic Lumix camera with the 18x optical zoom on it so I can zoom in on the team I'm cheering for.

Oh, not sure if you knew this, but I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I've been a fan of the Steelers since the mid 1970's. When I was in middle school I became pen pals with a friend named Janet K. She lived in Pittsburgh. We wrote to each other faithfully and she became my best friend, even though we had never met, and we lived so far away from each other! She got me hooked on the Steelers! For my high school graduation present, I got to travel to Pittsburgh and meet her! We went to a concert (Santana, my first 'real' concert!) & just had a great time! We did lose touch for many years, but thanks to Facebook, we have reconnected.

I'm excited about seeing my Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday, the 23rd of October!! They are playing the Arizona Cardinals at the stadium which is about 10 miles away. Hubby, his son, and I are going to take the city bus to the stadium. Our seats are in the corner of the stadium, but the view we will have will be of...the Steelers Bench! Woot!!! Oh, and even better? We are in the SECOND ROW of the main level--so essentially, right on the field! Double WOOT!

Speaking of the Steelers, take a look at this week's sketch from Jill:


Jill the Scrapoholic's Sketchy Saturday Challenge's
card sketch
for 10-22-2011

Notice those diamonds on the right side of this sketch? Hmmmm, reminds me of the Steelers' Logo:


Hubby and I were showing
off our Steelers tattoos!
YES, they are REAL!!!

So of course I just HAD to design a card based on those diamonds because the first thing I thought of was "STEELERS!"

Vertical card based on
10-22-2011 sketch

This card is 5½ x 4¼ inch size (A2) on Close to My Heart Daisy White cardstock.
I used Tombow Art Markers to color the red, blue and yellow.
Then I covered the background with Versamark Stamp Pad, and sprinkled
Martha Stewart Clear embossing powder and heated it until it melted.
The black rounded squares are from CTMH. They were topped with the Diamond shape I cut out using a font called "DINGTHINGS 4" (Capital F.) I colored those with the Tombow markers as well. There's a black one floating on the zigzag gold and black border.
The "Steelers" oval frame was a "Print-n-Cut" I created on Sadie. I created the design in Silhouette Studio, printed out the ovals, then had Sadie cut out the ovals.

The diamonds, and Steelers ovals are covered with CTMH "Liquid Glass" which puts a hard clear coat on whatever you decide to place it on. It starts out opaque, and ends up clear, and a thick coating. The brads were also coated with the Liquid Glass.


For my second card layout, I went to my CTMH paper and chose some from the F/W 2011 SONOMA
collection. Purples, greens, browns. and beiges comprise this collection and it sure is pretty!



I used a piece of Daisy White cardstock 8½ x 11 inches, folded in half to create a 5½ x 8½" card.

I cut out the ovals using Spellbinders Nestabilities, "Deckled Ovals" shapes. The 'diamond' shapes at the bottom are actually cut from two different Nestabilities shapes. First I used the Classic Scalloped squares, and then ran that die cut with the Blossom 4 Nestabilities set. It trimmed (evenly!) some of the points off the square shape that I placed in the Blossom die as a diamond. I added some CTMH Glitz (Stardust) glitter gel glue to the edges of the die cut cardstock.

I inked the edges with CTMH Exclusive Ink: Chocolate. I also used the Sonoma "MY Stickease" stickers for the saying circle, the brads on the oval, and the flourished vine on the rectangle. Finally I added CTMH Liquid Glass to the top of the brads.

Now, this is the VERY LAST week you can comment on any or ALL of the Sketchy Saturday challenges that I have posted to be eligible for the Blog Candy Give-away. There are some really nice items that are going to be given away--Complete Echo Park Paper paperpacks, stamp sets, embellishments...a PLETHORA of items, I tell you!

EACH comment you leave on any of the SKETCHY SATURDAY blogs will be eligible for one entry. If you choose to follow or subscribe to this blog, that will earn you another entry. Please, only one comment per blog post per person.

DEADLINE for all comments will be WEDNESDAY October 26th at 11:00 AM Pacific time zone. Best of luck with winning!



1 comment:

  1. I knew when I saw that first sketch, you would come up with something Steelers, great job on that card.
    I also love Sonoma card, love the colors and how you made it. I will make something off this sketch tomorrow. thanks for sharing.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.