Jann's Pages

9/17/11

Sketchy Saturday Challenge for 09/17/2011

Howdy Ya'll!  That's my Paula Deen impression--did I sound just like her?  No?  Oh wait, you can't hear words unless they're SPOKEN, gotcha! Speaking of Paula Deen--did you ever hear about the hamburger she created and put between two Krispy Kreme Donuts?  Yes, I'm serious!  Hubby heard that and said, 'A Heart Attack waiting to happen!"  Oh, and the hamburger, OF COURSE had a pat of butter in the middle of it before it was cooked...to keep the meat moist! 

I hope your week was good.  I had a BUSY one--with a part of our pool equipment spurting water that should be dry as a bone, to my daughter losing her cell phone on the city bus, it's been quite an adventurous week!  Luckily our pool company, "Fast Clean Pools" was able to send our regular Pool man, Cisco out to the house 20 minutes after we called about the leak.  The housing for the pump was cracked and water was going everywhere!  He was able to replace the part and put new PVC piping to the existing pieces of equipment and the pool is fixed! 

Thankfully, a kind person turned in my daughter's phone to the bus driver.  It was rescued the next day.  She said she felt so LOST without it!  I think she learned her lesson and will make sure her phone is IN her pocket, or backpack BEFORE she gets off the bus.

Are you geared up for the "back to school" crowd--whether at your home, or on the road? The students are back in session for another 180 days.  Local schools actually started in mid August here in Arizona. When I lived in Virginia we ALWAYS began the first day of school right after Labor Day.  I wish Arizona would do something similar because the weather in September is just a LITTLE bit cooler than in August when the buses start rolling.  It's nicer in June when school would end, if they started in September like back east.
Okay, enough of school talk!  This week I chose to use some paper from the Echo Park Paper 6x6" paper pad "The Apothecary Emporium."  This is a really nice set of papers, set for the Halloween holiday.  Echo Park Paper also has the 12x12" paper pack, which comes with the paper and stickers, plus some tags for journaling.  

Here is this week's sketch from Jill thee Scrapoholic:  


Looks fairly easy, and it was a lot easier for me to figure out an idea compared to last week's card sketch.  

Here is my horizontal card rendition of the sketch from Jill.  

"Owl Miss You!"
 As I stated, I used the "Apothecary Emporium" 6x6" paper pad for my card.  This card measures 5.5" x 4.25"   I used my Cutterpede with the Scallop blade to cut the outside vertical pieces.  The vertical piece behind the scalloped black and white paper is the orange background, but it has "Staz-on" Timber Brown colored ink sponged on it.  The tag behind the phrase is inked the same way.  The vertical black lines are drawn with my Sakura Glaze pen (Black) and the horizontal black line is a ribbon (1/4") that's threaded through the tag.  The phrase on white is pop-dotted with foam adhesive.  

I stamped the two owls using the Staz-on Timber Brown ink, then outlined them using the Sakura black Glaze pen.  Those stamps are from The Stamps of Life.  Stephanie Barnard offers a Stamp of the month Club and members are shipped a new stamp set on the 1st of the month.  The phrase and the owls are from the September 2011 set, "Owls2Love."  

If you notice, the phrase I used doesn't look like the phrase you see on the stamp set.  I've learned one valuable lesson when it comes to stamping with acrylic stamps.  They can be resized or reshaped to suit my needs!  I needed the phrase, but not in one long line.  So I took some very sharp pointed scissors and cut between each word in that phrase.  

THEN, I will take the individual words and place them down on my non-stick mat and arrange the words so I can see them.  In other words, the slick (back) of the acrylic stamp is facing UP at me and I can read the words, clearly.  They aren't mirrored image.  I arrange each stamp just so, nudging each piece with my tweezers so they line up in a pleasing look.  After the stamps are lined up JUST the way I want them, I take an acrylic block and press down on the stamps.  They adhere to the block and Ta-Da!  The phrase can be inked and stamped just the way I wanted it to look.  

This aforementioned method is a LOT easier than trying to line up each word looking at the mirrored image, flipping the block over to read it and check to see if the words are where you want them to appear on the block, then flipping back to adjust the word, and so on.  

I wanted to add some 'glitz' to the card, so I took the Copper colored Sakura Stardust Gelly pen and traced around the edges of the paper, and black vertical lines.  Then I added Imaginisce iRock gems to the eyes of the owls.  

Staying with the Halloween themed type paper, I chose 2 other patterns for the main part of my next card, the vertical view.


Vertical rendition of 9/17/11 Sketchy Saturday Card sketch
Again, this is a 5.5x4.25" card.  The top and bottom pieces of cardstock were created using Martha Stewart Embossing Border punch.  The embossed part is the line between the zig-zag edge and the punched out itty bitty dots in a zig-zag pattern.  I highlighted the embossed part using a Sakura Stardust Gelly pen.  

The ribbon is actually a brand I cannot recall.  I did buy the ribbon from a local scrapbook store (aka LSS) called "Crop Girls."  They are in Peoria, AZ and they house 3 different smaller stores in ONE large area.  I found really cute Halloween ribbon by the yard in that store last year so I bought about 3 yards of each that I loved and saved it to use for upcoming halloweens!  

The hearts were die cut using my Sizzix Big Shot and the set of Nestabilities "Hearts."  I used the smallest and next size up for this card. Yes, there is BLING on this card as well...Imaginisce iRock clear crystal gems adorn this card, as well as the Star Dust pen from Sakura.  If you look closely, the larger heart has a gem that's half on and half off of it.  HOW did I adhere this gem?  With the iRock gem heat tool, of course.  However, I placed my non-stick mat underneath the part that didn't get adhered, so it wouldn't stick to the cardstock that was under the foam adhesive "pop-dot."  Once the glue stuck to the heart, I pulled away the tip of the heat tool, waited a few seconds, and gently pulled the non-stick mat from underneat the part of the gem that wasn't on paper.  It worked!  
THIS is the non-stick mat I mentioned:  INKSSENTIALS Non-Stick CRAFT MAT.  This is a generous size, but I actually cut mine down to about 12 x 15" and used the other 6 x 15" piece by cutting THAT into half and I use the smaller pieces for the iRock tool, stamping, sponging, glueing...you name it!  THIS is an awesome tool to have on the craft desk. 

The Phrase is from "A Haunting We will Go" stamp set created by the ever-talented Sarah Hamer from Pink By Design.  This was one of the first stamp sets I ever purchased from her store.   Again, this sentiment was all on one line, and I needed it to be 'shaped' differently.  I broke out the scissors and cut in between each word.  Lined them up so I could see the words, and pressed my Acrylic block down on top of the sentiment phrase.  Voila!  It was easy to stamp and a quick process.  I did outline the phrase with the black Sakura Glaze Pen.  

So there you go, two more cards, with a Halloween/autumn vibe to them.  It's now YOUR turn to create magic!  Take Jill's sketch and create your own cards, then  link them back to her blog, after you upload them to your blog, or photo album.  Thank you for looking, and please, leave a comment if you like.  Remember, each comment you leave for each SKETCHY SATURDAY CHALLENGE post by me on this blog is eligible to be included in a drawing for some Blog Candy that will be awarded the beginning of November.  

OOH, speaking of some Blog Candy, I have another item that someone can win.  It is a 1 ounce bottle of "Scrap Fusion" P.A. (Permanent Adhesive.)  I came across this paper adhesive brand in a message board and ordered some.  Let me tell you, this is some AWESOME adhesive!  You can read about it at their website, Ivy Hollow Publishing.   I ordered the whole shebang-- a 16 ounce bottle of the adhesive, plus 3 2 ounce bottles that apply the Scrap Fusion in different ways.  The first way is a needle nose dispenser.  We're talking a tiny metal tube that a needle might fit through.  The second type of applicator is the spout top.  It dispenses a larger amount at a time.  The last applicator type, and my favorite, is the Dauber.  This is just such an easy way to get adhesive on a piece of paper.  QUICKLY!  


I received my order within a couple days of placing it at their website.  They were generous enough to send along FIVE 1 ounce sample spout top bottles filled with the Scrap Fusion adhesive.  They conveniently have their website listed on their bottles, so when you're running low, you can go back to order more!  This is my last sample bottle.  I've been to a few card making parties/workshops and given these little samples to the hostesses as a thank you.  I have this one bottle left, and it will go to a lucky recipient who was kind enough to leave comments on the SKETCHY SATURDAY BLOG POSTS only! (one comment per person, per blog post, please)...You are free to leave comments on the blog posts that aren't eligible for the Blog Candy Prizes, but they won't qualify for entries.  

I hope the upcoming week goes well for you.  Sunday evening hubby and I get to see Santana in concert.  I won 2 tickets from the local classic rock station, KSLX a couple months ago.  Also Autumn officially begins on Friday the 23rd of September.  I doubt that will make a difference regarding our temperatures though...but we can wish for it, at least!



1 comment:

  1. I love both cards, the owl is so cute and the hearts are perfect. The colors coordinate great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.