Jann's Pages

9/24/11

Sketchy Saturday Challenge for 09-24-2011

Hello everyone.  I've been down and out this week with some type of ninja virus attacking my head & body.  It's pitiful how some itty-bitty germs can affect someone so hard.  Ears ache, nose gets stuffy and then unstuffed at the blink of an eye.  THEN there's the battle with feeling sweaty while freezing.  Go Figure.  I promise you won't get sick from reading this blog, coz I'm making sure to Lysol everything!!

Okay, onto this week's Sketch by Jill The Scrapoholic



 Here is my rendition of the sketch:

I used K & Company's paper for the torn horizontal stripe, along with the frame behind the coffee cup and phrase.  The coffee cup is from Pink By Design's "Make it a Venti" graphics stamp set.  The phrase is also from Pink By Design, "Perk Up" set.  This is all put on a 6x6" square card using Joann's "The Paper Studio" scrapbook paper. The ribbon is called "Essentials" and it's 3/16" wide from Joann's.  I've had it for quite awhile and it's nice that ribbon really doesn't ever go out of style!
 
The flowers were die cut with my Sizzix using some left-over ad for the Constitution of the United States.  I figured it would make good die cut paper, and it did!  The brads are, I believe, Making Memories. 

The metal corners are from Close To My Heart's "Mini-Medley" collection, (I colored them brown with a Bic "Mark-It" pen in Woodsy Brown color) which right now is on CLEARANCE for $3.00.



This next card  was designed after rotating the design 90 degrees. I chose a more traditional size of 5.5"x4.25" (A2 size) of just standard white cardstock.  The paper, again is from K & Company.  I like this paper because it's double sided. 

I inked the edges of the torn vertical piece with Ranger's Distress ink: Spiced Marmalade.  The tan strip down the center of the torn piece is the reverse side of that 12x12" paper.  The "Thank You" popped up graphic is the orange paper you see, however, I sponged it with Ranger's Distress ink, "Worn Lipstick" color.  I also sponged the  edge of the paper the balloon graphic is stamped.  


Speaking of that balloon graphic, I found this red rubber stamp in the dollar bin at Michael's one day.  I just love hot air balloons and I've been to a few balloon shows.  I like hot air balloons SO MUCH, that I even got a tattoo of one on my ankle back in 1997 for my own birthday present! 

NO, I have never had the chance to ride in one, but that is on my "bucket list" so to speak.  What started me on this journey of hot air balloons was WAY back in 1987, I was living in Tucson, Arizona and it was probably in the beginning of March.  I was walking to work one morning and heard this ROARING noise.  I had NO idea what it was, but I kept walking.  All of a sudden, I saw this shadow looming, looked up and there was a hot air balloon landing in the middle of a cul-de-sac!  I stood there, fascinated that one of these humongous things landed IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD!  Oh, how I wish I had a camera phone back then, but we're talking about the mid 1980's so if anyone remembers "mobile phones" back then--they were larger than a brick and probably weighed more than one! 

I was about 20 minutes late getting to work, but was so ANIMATED and excited that I got to see something so beautiful.  My boss just told me to gawk for less time next time.  I guess he was used to the balloons, being he was from Arizona.  

Okay, now back to the card.  The "Thank You" phrase and dotted frame are from The Stamps of Life by Stephanie Barnard.  Because I'm a club member, I receive little 'thank you' gifts once in awhile.  This frame and phrase was together in a stamp that I recently received.  I stamped it with Versafine's Vintage Sepia and then outlined it with Sakura black Glaze Pen.  

The flowers are from two different sources:  the green flower is a die cut from Cheery Lynn Designs and it's called "Pretty Petal."  It's about 3x5" for the entire die that has about 4 flower dies on one sheet.  I found it at a local craft show last year.  

The other two flowers are stamps from The Stamps of Life by Stephanie Barnard.  It's the "Daisies4You" stamp set she created.  I stampd it, then cut out each flower and curled each petal on the flowers.  I colored them with pencils, then added Sakura Stardust pens to each for the glittery effect.  

I hope you enjoyed viewing my cards.  There are just 4 more Sketchy Saturdays remaining before a winner is announced for the Blog Candy giveaway.  Have you entered comments on each Sketchy Saturday Challenge blog post on my blog yet?  There is still time to do this!  


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jann,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your cards and your post....TFS. If you love balloons that much, you would love the Annual Balloon-A-Fair in Portage Co., Ohio. It is amazing to watch the balloons all soar into the sky, the different array of designs, and then the fireworks show afterwords. It is truly a priceless event for a balloon enthusiast as such as yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hot air balloons too! One day I hope to go on a hot air balloon ride... I love how your card turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both cards, did a great job, love the hot air balloon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.