Jann's Pages

9/3/11

Sketchy Saturday Challenge for 09-03-2011

Howdy Howdy Howdy!  I hope your Labor Day weekend is shaping up nicely and that you have lots of 'end of summer' things planned.  Me?  Nope, nothing spectacular planned.  Hubby has to work Monday, but luckily it's from home, so that's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say!

Oh, FYI, September is "National Stamping Month" so be sure to stamp your heart out and enjoy!!!  




This is today's sketch that we are challenging YOU to recreate for Jill the Scrapoholic's blog! 

Now, I like a challenge, and if you are a regular reader of my blog, you know that I usually attempt a vertical AND a horizontal card based on her sketch for that week.  Let me tell you, the VERTICAL version was really a challenge for me this week.  I goofed about 3 times before I finally got it right!  I think the bottom scalloped edge is what threw me.  Well, even with the horizontal view, that bottom scallop got me confused.  I thought it was JUST a scalloped border, but NOPE!  If you look at the sketch, that scallop doesn't stop until you reach the TOP scallop, which IS a border!! 

Seriously though, I cut quite a few scallops before I finally figured out how my EK Success Cutterpede was cutting.  Apparently the scalloped edge appears on the RIGHT side of the blade you are using.  So if you want the scallops, make sure you insert the paper on the correct side of the cutting blade (aka the RIGHT side of your piece of paper going to the right side of the cutter blade) or it will come out just the reversed image. 

Go ahead and ask me how I know this!  Yeppers!  Took me a couple tries to finally get it figured out.  NO, I am not a slow learner...I just wasn't concentrating on what I was doing.  I think it's called MULTI-TASKING and as someone who has ADD, multi-tasking doesn't really work.  


So here's my horizontal layout for the card based on Jill's sketch:




Like last week, my card is made with Echo Park's "Happy Days" paper pack.  I took their 12x12" paper and cut it down to 6x6 squares.  Since each piece has a pattern on either side, it's easy to mix and match paper for cards!  

I attached Imaginisce iRock gems (clear, blue and black) to the card with the IRock tool.  THAT is such a fun and cool tool to use!  My local Michaels craft store carries the packs of gems and I think I'm set for life with the amount of each color I now have!

The Owl stamp and the Sentiment are from Close To My Heart.  THIS stamp set, "Pair-a-Phrase"  is their FIRST DOUBLE stamp Set ever offered!  It's actually FREE when you purchase over $75 by the end of September, 2011!  Click HERE for more details.  It's SO SO cute with the variety of stamps offered. 

I used Memories Ink for the owl and sentiment then outlined it with Bic Markers and colored it with Rose Art Colored Pencils. 

Speaking of The Happy Days paper pack from Echo Park, this is one of the blog candy prizes that will be awarded when my assignment with the Scrapoholic's Design Team ends in October.  It is a package that has 12x12" sheets of double sided cardstock, pages of stickers, a journaling tag page, and borders to use.  It's mostly a 50's theme, but there is a variety of papers that just makes you...Happy!  


So there you go, that is ONE of the prizes you could win.  The number of entries you can submit is based on the comments YOU make on the Sketchy Saturday Challenges posts.  You will also get an entry for  FOLLOWING  the Posts.  At the bottom of this page, there's a link to click to FOLLOW.  More prizes will be mentioned in future posts.   


Now to the vertical card, of which I had too much trouble completing because of that scalloped edge!



I decided to go with my DCWV 8x8" stack I had.  I cannot remember the name of it, because I no longer have the cover to it.   So that stack has the white patterned paper, the striped paper and the dotted paper that all coordinate with the same color scheme.  The pink and dark pink papers are from Coredinations.  The "Pebble" sticker of the flower is called "Petal Pebbles" 

The rhinestones are from K & Company.  The gold ribbon is from Joann's, and the letters for the sentiment, Hello" are from Close To My Heart's "Tiny Type" alphabet set. I used Versafine Onyx ink to stamp the letters, then traced them with a Sakura Glaze pen (black) to give it that glossy look.  

Okay, so guess what!  It's now YOUR turn to make your card and submit it to Jill Thee Scrapoholic's blog! Oh, and Jill is also running a blog contest on her Facebook Page.  If you haven't "Liked" her Page, take a look, like it and check out what she has to offer for her contest! 

Remember to leave a comment regarding this post and the previous Sketchy Saturday Challenge posts.  You can go back to EACH Saturday's post and leave a comment.  Your comment goes into the drawing for the Blog Candy that will be awarded at the end of October.  One comment per blog per person, please.  

Until Next time, 





2 comments:

  1. Love the card, the first one love the colors and of course the Owl, I also love my Irock, so fun to use. the 2nd one turned out well also.Loved the way you used the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful cards! I love the 2nd cards paper. the owl is super cute on the first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.