Jann's Pages

9/10/11

Sketchy Saturday Challenge 09/10/11

Greetings and salutations!  How often do you read or hear THAT opening line?  Well, ya just did, so TA-DA! 


I hope your week was good.  We are one third of the way finished with  September.  That means, there are about SEVENTY-FIVE days left until Christmas.  Um...GULP!  Are you ready for it? NOPE, neither am I. 

This week's challenge from Jill Thee Scrapoholic appeared to be easy.  APPEARED is the operative word, ladies and gentlemen.  Actually, if I didn't have my SADIE it would have been a LOT more challenging.

Here is Jill's card sketch for this week:


See that part with the loops and the word, "Beautiful" in the center?  THAT is the part that stumped me at first.  Then I thought, Oh, wait, I might be able to design something with my Silhouette.

What I like about this machine and the software is the ability to create my own projects.  That's a really nice feature, unlike other machines with software that limits your designs to what they offer via cartridges.  Let's just call one of them the "Green Pest."  

What is also wonderful about the Software from Silhouette is that with the designs that I purchase from their online store, I can alter the design for my needs.  

For example, I needed a 'coil' but couldn't create one that looked good. So I purchased a graphic from the Silhouette store, and 'snipped' the part I needed.  Stretched it, copied it and joined it with the phrase.  

Here it is, the horizontal card I created: 

 
 See the word, "hello"?  THAT's what I'm talking about! I used Cluff bold as the font, and coils on either side of the word from the Silhouette Studio's "Large Telephone cord frame"  that I purchased for only $0.99USD.  Sadie cut it out, then I edged the pink graphic with a Sakura Stardust (purple) pen.  and finally ran the graphic through the 1.5" Xyron sticker maker machine.  

The 3 pink rectangles shapes are actually one piece of paper.  I  cut out 3 rectangles in the purple flower cardstock (DCWV Glitter Stack) with a Sizzix Mover and Shaper die.  I backed the cut outs with the pink cardstock (The Paper Studio), then edged the cut out rectangles with the same Sakura pen I used to outline the "Hello" graphic.  

I added a satin 1/8" white ribbon (Michaels), added a couple photo corners to the upper right and lower left corners, and then cut 5 piece of white cardstock, applied the glitter capital letters (Making Memories), corner punched each rectangle, and added Sakura Gold Gelly Roll pen as a border.  

The telephone graphic pop up is a "Print and Cut" I created using my Silhouette.  The phone graphic is from Microsoft Publisher 2003 edition's gallery. I copied it into the Silhouette Studio, and created a cut line around the outside of the graphic.  I printed the graphic with my printer, then sent the printed cardstock through the Silhouette and it cut around the graphic.  
I attached all of this to a white cardstock that folds to 5x7".  



The second card is the Vertical view of the sketch, which is also a 5x7 card.  


 For this card, I used the Tim Holtz "Halloween Background and Border" set (the words and the barbed wire at the bottom of the orange cardstock)  to dry emboss the orange Paper Studio cardstock piece.  I took the Ranger's  "Black Soot" Distress Inkpad and rubbed it gently across the embossed part. 

The cut out "Scary" with the ghosts was also created on my Silhouette SD using the Studio software.  The ghosts are not even an inch tall! 
Look at the detail--the eyes and mouth cut out.  Just amazes me that this machine does such a great job. 

The phrase, "BOO!" was made from Making Memories "Alphafeti" Stickers.  The spider webs in the corners and the 3 dangling spiders are from Martha Stewart, stamped with Versafine Onyx ink.  The yellow glitter background cardstock is from DCWV.  The green 'ghost' ribbon came from American Crafts. 

Thank you for looking at my latest creations for Jill the Scrapoholic's Sketchy Saturday Challenge.  Now it's YOUR turn to create a card from the layout and submit it to her site!!  She has information on how to do that at her blog.

Okay, here's another sneak peak snippet of a prize that will be given away as blog candy.  Let's just say these 4 letters together for a hint: ctmh.  

 THREE lucky people will win prizes JUST for leaving comments on the SKETCHY SATURDAY CHALLENGE blog posts.

Each comment that's posted on ONLY the Sketchy Saturday Challenge posts (okay, here's a clue--go back to EACH Saturday since July 9th to see those particular posts) will earn an entry into the drawing which will happen the end of October. 

The first blog candy item was mentioned in last week's post--do you remember what it was?  Now how easy is that?  To win something for leaving comments?!  C'mon, what are you waiting for? 



4 comments:

  1. Love how the phone card turned out! Way to use the Silhouette at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you do both landscape and vertical view of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both cards, love the phone and the phone card, both came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both cards. I think you did an excellent job capturing the sketch!! Stopped over from Scrapaholic blog! Happy to be a new follower!
    :O)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.