Jann's Pages

7/30/11

Scrapoholic's Sketchy Saturday Challenge for 7/30/2011

Happy weekend everyone! I hope you're enjoying this last weekend in July. Doesn't it seem that the older we get, the quicker time flies?!

Oh, and one more observation--why does it feel some months drag on LLOOONNNGGGERRR than other months?! It seems as if July was longer than usual. It could be because there were 5 weekends this July, but it felt like August would NEVER get here. Well, Monday it appears, hot, sweltering, humid...oh happy Summer!

Jill Thee Scrapoholic gave us a humdinger of a sketch this week. It involved various shapes put in various places. I looked at it and thought, "Hmmmm, wonder if this is going to work?!" Well, it did work, and I managed to get a card made from both points of view: Landscape and Portrait, as it's known in computer jargon.

Here is the Sketchy Saturday Challenge for this week:


LOTSA SHAPES!!

I felt a little overwhelmed with where to begin. I knew I was lacking at least one, if not two of the elements to make this sketch work. I had no star shapes, and the brackets might be a challenge. I probably had bracket stamps in my arsenal, because the bracket is part of Stephanie Barnard's The Stamps of Life logo. Since I was aware of that tidbit, I probably had some in the collection of TSOL stamps I own.

I managed to find the larger bracket in the LINES2JOURNAL stamp set, and then, the smaller bracket in the HEARTS2LOVE set. I've been a The Stamps of Life club member for about 15 months now. The CLUB is such a bargain compared to other stamp clubs. Stephanie spoiled me with how organized her stamp of the month club works.

I ordered the Spellbinders STAR Nestabilities from SCRAPBOOKPAL.COM and they arrived just a couple days later. Have you ever checked out this website? They have quite a variety of items for those who love to play with paper! The biggest advantage ordering from Scrapbookpal is with a $25.00 order the shipping is FREE! About 75% of my supplies have been ordered from scrapbookpal.com. No, I am NOT affiliated with their website, but I will always choose their website first for items I need.



Sketchy Saturday Challenge for 7/30/2011, Landscape

My first card is from regular white cardstock measuring 6.25 x 4.75", folded. I tried to get all this on a regular A2 sized card, but it wouldn't work so I enlarged it a bit to accomodate the actual stamps I wanted to use. All of the paper, minus the white cardstock, is from DCWV's Linen Closet Stack. It's an 8x8" paper pad that is one of my favorites.

I added ribbon around the various shapes. This was 1/8" eggshell colored satin ribbon from Walmart I bought a LONG time ago. Good thing about ribbon is that it will never go bad. ;-)

The STAR shapes are from that Nestabilities set I ordered. I outlined the stars with Stickles "Copper" color glitter glue. The CIRCLE shapes are also from a set of Nestabilities. I love how they have just basic shapes that can be die cut with manual machines. On the circles, I used a Sakura Copper Star Gelly Roll pen. These pens dry quickly, compared to the Sakura Glaze pens. I used pop up foam squares for the two stars, small circle and the phrase on the front of the card. I also used a corner rounder punch (medium) from EK Success for all the 'soft corners' on the card. Versafine Vintage Sepia ink was chosen for all the stamps on this card.

Now isn't that just the cutest stamp with the woman relaxing in an easy chair, coffee cup in hand? It's from a Stampin' Up stamp set from long ago that I borrowed from my friend Diana. Diana has a large collection of stamps, ink, tools, and paper because she's been enjoying this hobby for almost 15 years! I call her my "enabler" because she has a lot more knowledge regarding this hobby. She's a great friend and I'm lucky to know her. Oh, here's the inside of the card with the other sentiment that goes with this stamp set. I used scraps of the same DCWV paper for a 'frame'.



Saturday Sketchy Challenge
Landscape Card (inside)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For my second card, I used a portrait view of the sketch on a square card. It's a 6x6" square using white cardstock. I sponged the edge of the card with Memories Ink Pad's "Violet" color. I also lightly sponged the rest of the cardstock with "Soft Lilac" from Memories Ink Pad. ALL the paper used on this card started out as just the plain white cardstock. It has a linen type texture on one side and a smooth texture on the reverse. I'm pretty sure the paper brand is The Paper Studio. The texture is noticable on the flower pots that are colored orange with a Rose Art colored pencil.

There is some more texture on the circles. I began by inking the paper with "Soft Leaf" Memories Ink Pad, then embossing with the "Burlap" embossing folder from Tim Holtz's Texture Fades. I used the Spellbinders Circle Nestabilities to die cut them, finally inking "Apple" Memories ink on the embossed part of the circles to highlight the burlap pattern.

The small rounded squares were stamped with the "Blush" Memories Ink Pad with a repeating flower pattern. The Stars were inked with the "Port Red" Memories Ink Pad, and a smaller flower stamp. The brackets and heart are from The Stamps of Life, using Versafine "Vintage Sepia" Ink.

The stamp set used (minus the heart and brackets) is from Close To My Heart. It's called "Flower Pot" (Item number: D1409) and it has a variety of stamps to use. All the flowers and flower pots were stamped with Ranger's Distress Ink's "Antique Linen" Ink Pad which is a very light color. I planned on coloring over what I stamped, so I used this ink just for a guideline. Bic Ultrafine markers were used to outline the flower stems and outlines. Rose Art colored pencils were used to color the the various flowers, and I blended the pencil coloring with odorless paint thinnner (Mona Lisa brand) and a blending stump.



Sketchy Saturday Challenge 07-30-11 portrait

Did you know you can click on each picture to view its original size? Just RIGHT click and choose "OPEN IN NEW TAB." or "OPEN IN NEW WINDOW."

If you would like to participate in this week's
Sketchy, Saturday Challenge, please visit
Jill The Scrapoholic's Blog
to enter your project for
the challenge!
Good Luck!


3 comments:

  1. I really love your cards, they both came out cute. I love the orange pots, they really PoP. I love the way you used the ribbon on the first card, well I think both cards are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The woman in the easy chair drinking coffee is me! LOL Love the colors (DCWV is the best!)and the stamp is adorable. Could be a few women I know too. I just found both your sites, liking what I am seeing so far. Keep up the good work.

    The Happy Card Encouragement Factory

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the I Miss Hearing from You card. Great ribbon trim, soft colors, and use of stickles!!!
    :O)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments.